How to Maintain a Healthy Hormone Balance
It’s easy to forget the role hormones play in our bodies. In fact, until a problem like an imbalance presents itself, most people go about their daily lives without giving their hormones a second thought. Unfortunately, the hormonal balance we need to stay happy and healthy can easily be disrupted in a number of different ways.
While some hormone fluctuations are natural and completely normal, imbalances can also be caused by toxins or an unhealthy lifestyle. Understanding how these factors can play a role in keeping your hormones in check is the first step towards leading a balanced life.
What Causes Hormonal Imbalance?
Hormonal imbalance is a multifactorial disorder, which means it can be caused by a combination of factors. Your lifestyle, your diet, stress levels, genetics and exposure to toxins are just some of the triggers of hormonal fluctuations.
Some of major and most common contributors to hormonal imbalance include:
- Food allergies and gut problems
- Being obese or overweight
- High inflammation caused by an unhealthy diet and a passive lifestyle
- Genetic susceptibility: if a hormonal imbalance occurs in your family often, you may be at higher risk
- Exposure to toxins, such as cigarettes, pesticides, harmful chemicals and excessive alcohol consumption
- High stress levels followed by lack of rest and sleep
- Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
- Cancer treatments
Treat the Cause, Not the Aftermath
The way you treat hormonal imbalance will depend heavily on what’s causing it. And while reaching out to hormonal therapy specialists may be a viable option, getting to know what’s causing this problem can help you find the right treatment option.
If your lifestyle is disrupting your hormonal balance, relying on hormone therapy may not be as effective as you’d hoped—these are changes you have to make by yourself. Here are a few good places to start:
- Eat healthy fats instead of carbs: Eat a wide variety of foods that are high in fatty acids. They keep inflammation low, they promote weight loss, and they boost your metabolism.
- Avoid stress: Our emotions have a direct impact on our hormone balance, and the best way to address this is to lower the levels of stress in your everyday life. Yoga has been known for being an amazing stress-reliever.
- Exercise: Spending time outdoors and regular exercise will boost your immune system and balance your body from the inside out. Exercise also promotes weight loss, and we’ve already learned that being overweight puts you at higher risk of imbalance.
The bottom line: supporting your body with a healthy diet, enough rest, regular exercise, combined with reduced stress levels is vital for maintaining healthy hormone balance.